1. Limited to traditional barber poles and time & temperature devices.
2. Maximum of one per business.
3. Freestanding, wall or projection.
4. Maximum size not to exceed 50 square feet.
5. Included in the calculation of total sign area maximums.
6. Shall not project above roof line.
B. Awning (Canopy):
1. Signs may be attached to awnings made of rigid materials or appliqued or painted on the awning surface.
2. Signage on awnings shall not project above the awning.
3. Bottom of awning shall maintain a 9 foot vertical clearance.
C. Freestanding Monument Signs:
2. Minimum setback from property line equals 1 foot for each foot of height of the sign for signs 6 feet or less in height; for signs in excess of 6 feet in height the setback shall be greater than or equal to the height of the sign.
3. Low-water use, drought-tolerant plants from the Town of Clarkdale Plant List, Section 9-090 of the Zoning Code, or landscape rocks may be placed around the sign base to minimize the visual impact of a monument sign and create a visually attractive appearance.
5. See Section 7-090 of this Code for maximum signage square footage.
D. Off-Premise Commercial Signs:
1. Maximum number equals one per street frontage per parcel on which the sign is placed. Proof provided to the Town of permission from the parcel owner is required prior to installation of any off-premise sign.
5. Minimum separation between off-premise and on-site signage equals 200 feet.
8. Fifty percent of the signage allocated to off-premise advertising shall be deducted from the allowable on-site signage of the advertising parcel.
E. On-Site Commercial Information:
1. As reviewed and approved by staff and the Design Review Board during review of a master sign plan application.
2. On-Site information signage shall not contain advertising script or symbols.
1. Permitted in the Central Business and Commercial Districts only.
2. May be projecting, window or wall.
3. Shall only be illuminated during business operating hours.
G. Political – (In Accordance with Arizona Revised Statute 16-1019):
1. Maximum size equals sixteen (16) square feet, if the sign is located in an area zoned for residential use, or a maximum area of thirty-two (32) square feet if the sign is located in any other area.
a. The sign is not placed in a location that is hazardous to public safety, obstructs clear vision in the area or interferes with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act;
3. Said signs shall not be erected earlier than sixty (60) days prior to an election nor removed later than fifteen (15) days after an election.
4. No political signs will be permitted in public right of way in “sign free zones” as adopted by the Town Council in accordance with Arizona Revised Statute (ARS 16-1019). See Section 7-140 for a map of the ‘Political Sign Free Zones’.
H. Portable Signs:
1. Permitted in the Commercial and Central Business Districts with the following restrictions:
a. Maximum size is six (6) square feet.
b. Signs shall be non-reflective.
c. Information on signs shall be current.
d. Signs shall be of sufficient weight and durability to withstand wind gusts and storms so as not to blow over or become airborne.
f. One portable sign is allowed per business.
g. No more than three portable signs are allowed per 50-feet of linear street frontage.
j. One five (5) foot wide pedestrian passage way must be maintained around signs on a public sidewalk.
k. Off-premise portable signs are not permitted.
l. No attachments to a portable sign are permitted.
m. Portable signs shall be displayed only during the posted hours the business is open.
o. Height shall not exceed four feet from ground.
1. Maximum height equals top of wall.
2. No signage shall extend over public property except in the Central Business district and in no case shall the bottom of the sign be nearer than 9 vertical feet to grade, nor shall the leading edge of the sign be nearer than 2 linear feet to the curb.
3. Maximum number equals one per business.
6. Height shall not exceed top of wall.
J. Public Information not including political signs:
2. As permitted by law in furtherance of public safety, convenience or economic development.
3. Maximum height not to exceed 10 feet from existing grade at time of construction.
K. Real Estate:
1. Maximum size equal six (6) square feet.
2. On-site installation only.
L. Sign Walkers:
3. Sign walkers shall only operate during hours of operation for a business being represented or during daylight hours when advertising a subdivision.
5. Signs shall be limited to no more than eight (8) feet in height.
6. Signs shall not block visibility of pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
M. Special Events:
2. A maximum of 4 (four) portable and/or banner signs advertising the event are allowed.
3. An unlimited amount of directional signs are permitted.
4. Directional signs may be placed no sooner than twelve (12) hours before the event and shall be removed within two (2) hours after the event.
5. Banners and other temporary sings advertising the event may be placed on private property up to two weeks prior to the event.
N. Subdivision Advertising, Directional and Identification:
1. General: A master sign package for each development including type, number, size, locations, materials and colors of the various signs shall be approved by the Design Review Board prior to the issuance of a permit for any sign authorized under this section of the Code.
2. On-Site Subdivision Identification
c. Maximum height shall equal 6 feet.
3. On-Site Advertising and Directional:
a. Maximum height shall equal 10 feet.
b. The edges of all signs shall be boxed.
4. Off-Site Advertising and Directional:
a. Permits are established for each subdivision on an annual basis based on a site plan showing all proposed signs and locations.
b. Maximum of 8 signs per subdivision.
c. Maximum of 4 square feet per sign.
d. Signs shall not be installed before 4:00 p.m. on Friday and must be picked up by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, except when Monday is a holiday, then by 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday.
1. Limited to the following:
a. 32 square feet maximum.
b. Maximum number equals one per street frontage per parcel.
2. Shall be placed on the property for which it advertises.
3. Shall be removed on or before the 30th day from date of the initial installation.
5. No banners shall be hung across any public right-of-way unless specifically granted approval by the Town Manager or designee, or an authorized representative; upon a finding such placement will not be detrimental to public safety and provided such placement shall be for a period of 30 days or less.
6. All banners shall have wind slits.
1. Maximum number equals one per approved wall area. An approved wall area, per Definitions, Chapter Two of the Town of Clarkdale Zoning Code is a wall facing a public street or containing the primary public access.
2. Maximum height equals top of wall to which affixed.
1. No more than fifty percent of the window shall be used for signage.
2. No more than 25% of the allowable window signage shall be illuminated.
R. Yard Sale
1. Must contain the date and address of the yard sale.
2. Must be removed within 72 hours of placement.
3. Shall be weighted so as to not fly around
4. Shall be located on private property.
5. Shall not exceed 4 square feet.
6. Shall not be attached to traffic control devises, utility poles or street signs.
S. 89A Overlay District
1. Signage shall be minimal and shall consist of either wall signs or monument signs. Wall signs shall not exceed eight feet in height and monument signs shall be no greater than four feet in height. (Prior code § 7-8)