(Created 7/9/13 by Ordinance #352; Effective 8/9/13)
A. Purpose: To minimize the impacts of wireless communications facilities on surrounding areas by establishing standards for location, structural integrity, compatibility, and appearance while encouraging the availability of broadband wireless connectivity for residents and visitors.
Permitted zones: Wireless communication facilities are permitted in the Commercial and Industrial Zoning Districts with a Conditional Use Permit except for properties located within the 89A Overlay District protected viewshed. Co-location of providers is encouraged. A Conditional Use Permit shall also be required for any substantial change to an existing Wireless Communication Tower; a substantial change means any change or cumulative changes over time: (1) changing the physical dimensions (height or width) of the Wireless Communication Tower or its supporting structures by more than 10%; or, (2) changing the design of the Wireless Communication Tower that would make it significantly more obtrusive.
•A map of all locations owned, leased or operated by the applicant and their coverage located within 10 miles of the proposed site.
•A detailed drawing, scaled to not less than one-inch equal to 100 feet, of the exterior of the proposed Wireless Communication Tower, including a cross-section detail of the tower, including height from grade, number of poles and number of arms, and features to make the tower visually unobtrusive. Aerial photographs and renderings may augment the drawing.
•An environmental assessment of the site, per the specifications of Section 1.1307 of the rules of the Federal Communication Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration rules regarding antenna structures.
•Exterior paint or finish samples.
•Letter of authorization from the property owner.
•A signed statement stating the radio frequency emissions comply with the standards of the Federal Communications Commission.
•Proof of a license from the Federal Communications Commission to transmit/receive radio signals.
•A summary of any planned community outreach regarding the application.
C. General Requirements and Restrictions:
1. Towers and accessory structures shall, as much as feasible, be designed to be visually unobtrusive with the surrounding landscape and area. Landscaping from the Town’s approved plant list shall be used to screen all structures. Stealth or concealed towers may be required as a condition of the Conditional Use Permit.
2. Outdoor storage of equipment shall not be permitted at the site.
3. Lighting shall be fully shielded and used for security reasons only unless otherwise regulated by the Federal Communication Commission or the Federal Aviation Administration.
4. Only signage required by the Federal Communications Commission is permitted.
5. All components of a Wireless Communication Tower shall be removed, at the expense of the property owner, the entity leasing or owning the tower, or the applicant’s (or the applicant’s successor), if not used for 180 consecutive days. If the facility is not removed, the Town shall remove at the cost of the property owner, the entity leasing or owning the tower, or the applicant’s (or the applicant’s successor)after 30-days’ written notice. (Prior code § 4-18)